Den v muzeu.

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by scrimshaw, Jul 22, 2008.

1. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Od stanice jsme šli hned k muzeu, protože už byl pozdě a nechtěli jsme opustit Prahu aniž bychom věděli jeji famózní muzeum, o kterým jsme tak moc slyšeli. Šli jsme schodech dolú do krásné budovy. Byli na ní hezkými starými malými sochami, a v zahradě před ní byl velká socha pěkné koni a jezdec.
    Koupili jsme si listky, a průvodce nám řekl, že nesmíme vnítř nic nevyfotit, protože jásné světlo zraní obrazy.
    Šli jsme osvětlenými chodbami, které měli mnoho starých, a nových obrazů. Líbili se nám nejvíc ty starší obrazy, ty malované v osmnáctech a devatenáctech století.
    Smutně jsme měli opustit muzeu dřív než jsme mohli vidět všechno ale vlak odjede stanici v šest, a museli jsme v ní být, když byl to posledný vlak.
    Souhlasili jsme se, že byl to jedno z nejkrásnějších muzeí, jaké jsme kdy viděli, a viděli jsme mnoho muzeí.

2. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Either my Czech's getting better or that was a deliberately easy piece because I understood all of it!

3. kibicz

kibicz Well-Known Member

*more natural, but your version is also possible
    **Use either "Byly na ní hezké, staré a malé sochy" or "Byla ozdobena hezkými, starými a malými sochami,"
    *** v ní = ve stanici?
    **** i would say "a že jsme viděli .." = emphasizing

Karel lerak is probably sleeping now but he will have to check my corrections at the morning..:) I have to admire him for reading the text with all the colour tags..
    pls. check my czenglish.

edit: i found mistake in my corrections.. horrible:-(

4. Polednikova

As this was one of the rare offerings from Scrimshaw that I understood, how about translating it into English, kibicz, and I'll check it for you!

And I think America is behind us so unless Scrimshaw is having an afternoon nap, he should be wide awake!

5. scrimshaw

Kibicz, your english is great, and thanks for the corrections.
    Just say 'in the morning' instead of 'at the morning'. :wink:
    And I admire Karel too!!

Polednikova, I wasn't aware you were trying to read my attempts. I will do a version of what I am trying to say.
    I try to come up with hard grammatical constructions to see if I am understanding the grammar.
    This was what I wrote, and I am always pleased when I don't see to many red marks, but it is the red marks that help me learn.

Od stanice jsme šli hned k muzeu, protože už bylo pozdě a nechtěli jsme opustit Prahu aniž bychom věděli její famózní muzeum, o kterém jsme tolik(tak moc..rarer) slyšeli. Šli jsme schodech dolů do krásné budovy. Byli na ní hezké staré malé sochy, a v zahradě před ní byl velká socha pěkného koně a jezdece. (unfortunately there is no garden in front of the museum:-( ) (moje přestava tvoří věci)
    Koupili jsme si lístky, a průvodce nám řekl, že nesmíme uvnitř nic fotit, protože jasné světlo poškozuje obrazy.
    Šli jsme osvětlenými chodbami, které měly mnoho starých, a nových obrazů. Líbily se nám nejvíc ty starší obrazy, ty malované v osmnáctém a devatenáctém století.
    Smutně jsme měli opustit muzeu dřív, než jsme mohli vidět všechno, ale vlak odjede ze stanice v šest, a museli jsme v ní(na ní?)*** být, když byl to poslední vlak.
    Souhlasili jsme, že byl to jedno z nejkrásnějších muzeí, jaké jsme kdy viděli, a že jsme viděli mnoho muzeí.

From the station we went immediately yo the museum, because it was already late, and we didn't want to leave(abandon) Prague without we would first see(seeing first) her famous museum, which we had heard so much about. We went upstairs into the beautiful building. There were pretty, old, small statues on it, and in the garden in front of it there was a fine statue of a horse and rider(knight).
    We bought(ourselves) tickets, and the guide told us we cannot take pictures inside, because the bright light damages the pictures.
    We went through the brightly lit halls, which had many old and new pictures. We liked most (they were pleasing to us the most) those painted in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
    Sadly, we had to leave the museum before we saw everything, but the train will leave(was leaving) the station at six, and we had to be on it, because it was the last train.
    We agreed it was one of the most beautiful museums that we have ever seen, and we have seen lots of museums.

6. scrimshaw

Oh sorry Polednikova. I see now you asked Kibicz to translate it. :oops:

7. kibicz

kibicz Well-Known Member

8. Polednikova

No worries. I just thought we could help him with his English at the same time as him helping us with our Czech!

9. Polednikova

Yes, leave it until the next easy-ish piece!

10. scrimshaw

Hi all, today's offering. :D

Ten dopis
    Jeden den, ke konci červnu, mi došel podivný dopis. Našel jsem jej na stole v chodbě, když jsem přišel doma ze školy. Nepoznal jsem ani rukopis ani vrateční adresu. Neočekoval jsem dopis od nikoho.
    Kdo by mi chtěl napsat, zeptal jsem sám sebe jak jsem si sedl u kuchinového stolu.
    Vidím, že jsi našel tvůj dopis, řekl otec, který se snažil opravit skřinové dvěře.
    'Kdo ti napsal, synu?'
    'Nemám žádnou myšlenku. Je to úplná záhada.'
    Venku začal pršet, chladný vánek přifoukal do domy, a zadní dveři
    zabuchnul.
    Co pro nás venku vaří ten čert, zeptal se otec nikoho zejmény(nobody in particular?). To je jedno z jeho oblíbených rčení.
    Cítil jsem takové houstnoucí šero, a neuměl jsem jej vysvětlit.
    Zdalo se mi, že nebude toto obyčejné bouře.
    'Nevím, otce, nevím.'

11. Polednikova

I was doing really well until about three quarters of the way in and now I'm going to have to go off for my dictionary!

This has given me confidence to have a go, though. Give me a few days to get used to the idea and I'll put something up. What I used to like to do for my Czech class was an 'aktualita', paraphrasing something in the news. I'll try one of those.

Then kibicz can try his hand at both our efforts, if he has time!

12. kibicz

kibicz Well-Known Member

* "I have no idea" but directly translated its like "i have nothing in my head" so we say "nikdo/nic mě nenapadá" or "nemám tušení/potuchy" or simply "nevím"

**good way but i would say "přivál"
    *** našel jsem svůj dopis vs. našel jsem tvůj dopis
    **** nikoho určitého
    ***** or "nám"
    h ch k r d t n - hard consonants so allways with Y, except in foreign words...

lame translation: nešetřte mě!
    The letter
    One day at the end of june i recieved a strange letter. I found it on the table in coridor when ive returned from school. I didnt recognize the handwriting nor the return adress.
    I wasnt expecting lettar from anybody.
    Who would want to write me, i asken myself when i sat down by the kitchen table.
    "I see you found your letter." said father who was trying to fix wardrobe door.
    "Who sent it to you, my son?"
    "I got no idea. its enigma"
    I started raining outside cold wing was blowing through the house and closed back door.
    "What the hell is happening"(very loose translation) asked father nobody in particular(thanks)
    Its one of his favourite sayings
    I felt such a thickening twiling and i couldnt explain it.
    It seemed i wouldnt be ordinary storm.
    I dont know father i dont know..

Have a nice "LOL" :-D

Asi ještě několikrát edituji opravy, protože se v nich s přibývajícími barvami ztrácím.

13. scrimshaw

That's great Kibicz
    I like your translation of the father's saying, :lol: , but I was going for the literal....What is the devil cooking up for us outside.

Here is the my version in english so you can compare.

The letter
    One day at the end of June I received got a strange letter. I found it on the table in the hallway when I came home from school. I didn't recognize the handwriting, or the return address. I wasn't expecting a letter from anybody.
    Who would want to write me I asked myself as I sat down at the kitchen table.
    I see you found your letter, said father who was trying to fix the closet door.
    Who sent it to you, son?
    I have no idea. It is a mystery.
    It began to rain outside and a cool wind blew into the house, and slammed the back door.
    What is the devil cooking up for us outside, father asked nobody in particular. That is one of his favorite sayings.
    I felt some kind of thickening darkness, gloom, dread, (cit strachu)and I didn't know how to explain it.
    It seemed to me that this will not be an ordinary storm.
    I don't know, pa, I don't know.

Nice work and thanks for corrections.

14. kibicz

kibicz Well-Known Member

Thanks,
    i can clearly see that your czech is much better than my english.
    Klobouk dolů.

15. Polednikova

That's why it's so helpful for us to have these passages corrected. I've learned so much from Karel's corrections and I bet you've learned from Scrimshaw's English version.

16. scrimshaw

Kibicz, don't be so quick to say that. My czech is very limited in speaking.
    Thanks to everybodies help here, I think I'm getting a pretty good sense of the grammar though. That's a good feeling. You do very well, easily understood.

Polednikova, it is like an international, cross continental, classroom. :D
    I hope everybody is mutually getting something out of it.

Bližící bouře
    Nechal jsem dopis na stole a vykročil jsem do přední podlevy. Stal jsem tam a díval jsem se na obloha, která se měnila šedivou a zlomyslnou. Vítr se sílí, a ještě se mnou byl ten podivný cít strach.
    Určitě to nebyl kvůli bouři. Tu na téhle hoře bylo mnoho bouře.
    Přežili dokonce to nejhorší bouře století. To se stalo v roce devatenáctset šedesat osm.
    Myslel jsem si, že to nebyla bouře, která mě splňila s tímhle zlověstným cítem. Když jsem byl ztracený se svými myšlenkami, slyšel jsem první řvavý blésk, a byl tak neočekávané, že jsem skončil.
    Otec otevřel dveře a řekl, vypadá tuhle špatně.
    Ze stadale jsme slyšeli koňi a vypadala vystrašeně. Ten podívný cít strach jen se horšili.
    Kde je Azor jsem se zeptal.

17. kibicz

kibicz Well-Known Member

18. scrimshaw

My intended words

Approaching storm
    I left the letter on the table and stepped out onto the front porch. I stood and watched the sky changing(turning) gray and ominous. The wind strengthened(was getting stronger) and stiil I had that feeling of dread.
    Certainly it wasn't because of the storm, here on this mountain there have been many storms.
    I thought it wasn't the storm that(which) filled me with this ominous feeling.
    I was lost with my thoughts, when I heard the first lighteninng, and it was so unexpected that I jumped.
    Pa opened the door and said, it looks bad out here.
    From the stable we heard the horses and they sounded frightened, and the strange fear only worsened(got worse).
    Where is Azor, I asked.

Notes
    'Porch' I think might be more an american word than an english word.
    Veranda is probably suitable.

Maybe instead of vaypadali vystrašeně...I should have said 'zněli vystrašené.

'Pa' is a rather 'out of use' way of saying 'father'.
    Grandpa is still commonly used though.

And word order I should say...
    Zeptal jsem se, kde je Azor...since I was wanting to emphasize the question rather than that I asked the question.

Bouře
    Stál jsem pod střechem a vyvolal jsem Azoru, Azore, kde jsi? ''Pojd´ sem starý přitele.''
    Dlouhá jasná řada blesku přetrhl šedivou oblohu, a hned jsme slyšeli hlasitý hrom. Řvouci blesk osvětil celou oblohu.
    Ze stadaly běžel Azor, a skočil na verandu. Chvěl se.
    'Máš pravdu otče, vypadá špatně.'
    Otec řekl, když jsem byl dnes v městě, slyšel jsem, že vypověděl válku konec konců. ''Přal jsem si, že by se tomu vyhnuli. Nikdy se nepoučí.''
    Potom jsem si všimal odkud přišel ten pocit strachu.
    Myslel jsem si, jak mohou být tak hloupi? Mají tak krátké paměti.
    Vrátil jsem se do kuchyně a otevřel jsem dopis.

19. kibicz

kibicz Well-Known Member

*i am sorry - i didnt correct you before
    **correct but doesnt make sence in this sentence.

20. scrimshaw

Díky Kibicz

Neočekávaná zprava
    Četl jsem slova pomale. Dopis byl od přítela Jany. Řekla, že Jana byla nemocná a že, bude muset jít do nemocnice. Chtěla vědět zda mohu přijít a navštívit ji. Slyšela, že je možné, že vypovědí válku a chtěla mě vědět.
    Bála se toho, co se bude stat, kdyby válka opravdu záčal.
    Řekl jsem otcovi, že musím jít do Tři Lipky, že musel jsem navštívit Janu a že, se vrátím jakmile je možné.
    Obul jsem si boty, chytil jsem kabát, klobouk a starou pušku.
    Tři Lipky je od naše hory pět hodiny.
    Šel jsem do stodoly, a připravil jsem koně na cestu.
    'Ne, Azora, nemůžeš se mnou jít tento krát.
    Hlídej domov dokud tady nejsem.'