En > CZ : a phrase

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by milton, Dec 16, 2008.

1. milton

milton Well-Known Member

any takers?

Secrecy, in other words, is a prime cause of brittleness—and therefore something likely to make a system prone to catastrophic collapse. Conversely, openness provides ductility.

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

My take:

Jinými slovy, utajování je hlavní příčinou křehkosti systému a tím pádem i důvodem, proč je takový systém náchylný ke katastrofálnímu zhroucení. Otevřenost naopak přinese systému odolnost.

3. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

eso beet me to it - but since i tried, i might as well add it as well - it does need grammatical correction though...

Jinak řečeno, tajnůstkářství je hlavní příčina křehkosti – a tím pádem vlastnost, která pravděpodobně vede k tomu, že systém má sklony ke katastrofálnímu propadu. Naopak, otevřenost vede k pružnosti.

i took it to mean that ductibility is sort of flexibility???

4. milton

milton Well-Known Member

according to dictionary.com it reads: able to undergo change of form without breaking.

5. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

So not only do we learn Czech here, we also learn English!

6. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

You are right, Polednikova.
    I've never heard the word 'ductility' either.

And Milton, your sentence...

Secrecy, causes brittleness and openness provides 'ductibility'(flexibility would be the more common term)(ability to bend without breaking, like you said) is that all referring to a relationship?

It's best to be completely honest in a realationship?

7. milton

milton Well-Known Member

hey scrimshaw.. I guess it could also be applied to relationships too.. but I heard this quote in my Check Point Certified Security Administrator class.. my professor was talking about the theory of security based on obscurity, a pretty whacked out idea if you ask me, but whatever.. I just want another pivo. :D

8. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

my first reaction to it was that it realted to banking and economics :D

i had heard ductibility used, but more in the technical world - e.g., ductile in relation to metals