En -> Cz - Slob

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by Ani, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Ani

Ani Well-Known Member

What is the Czech equivalent of the word 'Slob' as in someone who is careless of their personal appearance?

Thanks
    Ani

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Well, my dictionary translate "slob" as:

povaleč, lenoch, flákač

but all this terms mean "lazy person" in Czech ...

3. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Slob can be close to lazy but it doesn't necessarily mean lazy. It is more about personal appearance or household appearance. You can be someone who works very hard and plays a lot of sports (not a lazy person) but you never pick up after yourself, your house is always a mess, so you are a slob.

4. eso

eso Well-Known Member

So maybe "bordelář"?
    Is "slob" very pejorative term or only teasing?

5. eso

eso Well-Known Member

There are words like "šmudla" or "špindíra" but they are related exclusively to personal hygiene.

6. wer

wer Well-Known Member

My dictionary says čuně.

7. Ani

Ani Well-Known Member

It can be pejorative but it can also be used in a sort of amused exasperation, if you understand what I mean:) I'm trying to think of a word to describe someone who doesn't much care about their personal appearance or style and is quite happy to wear the same T-shirt 3 days in a row.. and is also quite lazy about personal grooming. However the person is not lacking in personal hygiene at all.

8. dzurisova

That word would be Čech. :lol: Sorry no offense to anyone but I've noticed that the above describes my husband's friends and family, including my husband. However, Czech women are just the opposite.

9. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Ouch! It's a good thing you're a woman--otherwise you'd be sleeping on the couch tonight!

10. dzurisova

:lol: My husband can't deny it. All winter long, he wears jeans, T-shirt, and an old navy fleece (he has about 20 of those stupid fleeces). I get so sick of looking at him dressed the same way that I told him if he wore jeans, t-shirt, and an old navy fleece to church one more time, I would sit on the other side of the sancutary. So we compromised. If I lay out and iron his clothes for him, he will wear what I choose but only once a week to church. So I get to see him dressed up once a week. The rest of the time, it's back to the same old outfit. Not to mention, he will wear the same stupid t-shirt for 3 days in a row if I don't throw it in the dirty laundry. And when I do, he yells "What are you doing, that wasn't dirty!" :lol:

His daughter tells me that all Czech men are like that. She moved from CR when she was 15, back in 1998 so maybe things are different now.

What can I say, sometimes you love them, sometimes they drive you nuts! :wink:

11. Ani

Ani Well-Known Member

dzurisovak, I think you may have hit the nail on the head! No offence to my many wonderful Czech friends :D

12. milton

milton Well-Known Member

Ok so just to recap. It seems to me that if you hear any TWO of these words in the same sentence, you'd better take a hint and take a damn shower...

13. milton

milton Well-Known Member

povaleč, lenoch, flákač, bordelář, šmudla", or "špindíra, čuně, Čech

14. dzurisova

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just remember Milton, I didn't say that Čech's don't shower enough but that they wear the same clothes too long and don't care about personal appearance. Maybe that is the same to others, but since I'm married to a Čech, to me it's a very important distinction. :wink: :lol:

15. Ani

Ani Well-Known Member

No, no please don't misunderstand! I said that personal hygiene wasn't an issue here. I just wanted a word for the laid-back attitude that clothes aren't that important and from what Dzurisovak says, whilst not generalising, it seems to be pretty standard behaviour :)

16. alenastef

alenastef Well-Known Member

17. eso

eso Well-Known Member

To není bordel, to je organizovaný chaos.

It's not mess, it's organized chaos.

:)

18. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Does this imply "Save the environment (from the pollution of laundry detergent)" or "Save the environment (from the stink of unwashed clothes)?" :wink:

19. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Ani, I know exactly the type of person you're describing but I haven't been able to think of the right Czech word. I've been checking on this thread every now and then to see if anyone has finally come up with it but it's starting to look like there may not be any such word in Czech. Now I'm thinking, is it because what's referred to as a "slob" in English describes a "regular Czech guy" as dzurisovak suggested? :wink:

20. Ani

Ani Well-Known Member

Could be Dana :) I was looking at the words too and trying to decide which ones to use, but I didn't want to offend anyone by using the wrong one. So I'll just think of it as a typically 'Cech' trait and leave it at that :wink: