Eurovision & Czech Republic???

Discussion in 'Movies, Music & Media' started by evian, May 24, 2005.

1. evian

evian Well-Known Member

Hi to all,
    I've watched the annual Eurovision Song Contests for a number of years now and I have noticed one thing... Czech Republic does not seem to participate in any of them?! :shock:
    I am very curious as to know why this is?? I would think that for a country where music and media is heavily structured through their culture they would at least participate in this contest, but maybe there is something I am missing??
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jason
    P.S. - I especially liked this years entries, my favourites being: Hungary, Croatia and Ukraine. What are your thoughts??

2. SMZ

SMZ Well-Known Member

Well, Jason, my first thought is that you and I have differing taste in music. :)

But, I will say that when I happened across this site with the videos of the semi-finalists (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/eurovision/ ... ndex.shtml) I was disappointed to not see the Czech Republic there.

I enjoyed both of the top two finalists, although I would change the order and put Chiara (Malta) first, then Helena Pararizou (Greece) second.

Susan

3. szarkafarka

szarkafarka Well-Known Member

Possibly there is no tradition and no interest to participate in ESC in our country.

Before 1993 Czechoslovakia was a member of the OIRT (briefly Intervision) with its own contest in Sopot, Poland. The winner of Intervision Song Contest 1977 was Helena Vondráčková (Malovaný džbánku) :shock: .

4. mravenec

mravenec Well-Known Member

Well, i first thought Czechs weren't interested in making silly songs (which still might be true) but rather play good music like Nohavica. Now that SuperStar has taken over the headlines in Blesk, i'm not quite so sure...