Favorite Czech Meal?

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by My Czech Republic, May 17, 2004.

?

If you could have only one Czech meal, which of the following would you choose?

1. Beef goulash with dumplings (Hovězí guláš s knedlíkem)

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Beef sirloin with dumplings and vegetable cream sauce (Svíčková na smetaně, knedlík)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Roast pork, dumplings and sauerkraut (Vepřová pečeně, knedlík, zelí / "vepřo-knedlo-zelo")

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Roasted duck with sauerkraut and dumplings (Pečená kachna se zelím a knedlíkem)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Pork schnitzel with mashed potatoes (Smažený vepřový řízek s bramborovou kaší)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other - please tell us in a post in this forum

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Katie/Katerina

Katie/Katerina Active Member

Ooh it's toooo hard to choose. In my favourite pubs/ restaurants I would probably be going between vepřo-knedlo-zelo and kachna knedlíkem a zeli... but my boyfriends grandmothers make amazing svickova (Sp.?) On the vote I've gone for the duck.. since I'm no good at making it at home. Can make an OK attempt at a beef goulash, though.

2. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

I'll have an order of that beef goulash. My grandmother made that.
    Ta a pár rohlíků a to mi stací. Budu v sedmé nebi.

3. girdeaux10

girdeaux10 Active Member

I have to say, that I still like the food from the various...eateries...on Wenscelslas Square in Prague. I know they aren't reflective of Czech food, but they were great after lots of beer!!

Fried cheese. In a bun. Lol.

4. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

:lol: I have never met a man who doesn't like fried cheese! Is there anyone out there? :wink:

5. scrimshaw

Fries cheese, never had ala czech, but I've had it in a greek restaurant.
    The waiter puts a flame to it right at the table and everybody shouts 'Opa'.
    It is fantastic.

6. Polednikova

I think that's something quite different from the Czech version, which is either an Edam-type cheese, or the Czech version of Camembert called Hermelin, dipped in flour, egg and breadcrumbs before being fried, so the cheese melts inside the breadcrumb coating and when you cut it, it all oozes out!

7. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

Is that anything like fried Mozerella Chese that is served in the US?

8. scrimshaw

Maybe you are right there, Polednikova.
    I guess I don't really know the czech version of fried cheese, but I'm sure it is very good.
    The greek fried cheese comes on a hot skillet and in the form of a square patty. Opa!

A Czech friend showed me her czech breakfast, an egg in a whole cut out in the middle of a slice of bread. But then sliced bread isn't big in Czech republic is it? Isn't it more the crusted 'brotchen' kind of bread.
    Big difference between american bread and european breads.
    So I guess her version was an americanized version.

9. Polednikova

Don't know. I don't have breakfast with many Czechs. :) But they do have sliced bread. They choose their big brown loaf, put it whole in the big slicing machine that most supermarkets have, press a button and it slices it for you!

And you could quite easily make the fried cheese at home if you wanted to try it. The secret is not to have the fat too hot so that the breadcrumb casing doesn't split. I always coat it twice ie flour, egg, breadcrumbs, egg, breadcrumbs.