First impressions in Olomouc

Discussion in 'Culture' started by Irish_student, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Irish_student

Irish_student Active Member

I'm after arriving here on wednesday, and so far it has been excellent. The weather is lovely, and most of the czech people I have met and spoken to are so nice. They are really friendly and helpful, and are generally sympathetic to the fact that I am a foreigner with very little knowledge of the language. I am beginning to pick up a few words of czech here and there, such as prosim, promiňteh, and djěcky. The city itself is so beautiful, the architecture of many of the buildings is incredible.

If there is one complaint I would have to make though, it is that it seems that some Czech men can be a little over-protective of their girlfriends. One experience that sticks out in the mind was when a czech guy tried to start a fight with me for talking to his girlfriend, who i was only talking to because she was a fluent English speaker. :(

But this has been the vast minority. Every other person I have met over here has been so helpful and friendly, I have been surprised. In fact I have been astounded by a lot of the small gestures many czech people have made to help me feel welcome and at home in the country.

2. Emperor

Emperor Member

Almost got in a brawl did you... that's too bad. The Czech sex culture is a little different from the rest of western Europe from my experiences and from the stories I have heard... best of luck there :D