furnished or unfurnished?

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by anu, Mar 13, 2006.

1. anu

anu Well-Known Member

last year i lived in prague for half a year in a furnished flat. it was okay, i didn't have to worry about furniture - but then i also felt like living in some stranger's place. now that i'm probably going back to prague, i'm thinking about moving in an unfurnished flat.

any suggestions or experiences?

thanks a lot!

2. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Well, fine if you love interior decorating, but how long are you intending to stay?

I was renovating/furnishing my apartment (in my ownerhisp) and it took me pretty long time to find what I was willing to live with. I found new furniture much more expensive, ugly and uncomfortable. I was desperate to buy some sort of sofa bed and try everyone in town - regardless price, they were all expensive and hard as a rock. After sleeping on borrowed mattrace for months eventually I bought it in Ikea. - you can search for Ikea Prague catalogue to get some idea of prices. If you don't like Ikea furniture (like I don't) you will have a hard time to compromise. It is not easy to buy second hand older furniture.

You also have to consider seriously how you will get rid of your furniture and household items before you leave. No garage sales there! People in general do not buy furniture from others. Czechs move/relocate very seldom thyus culturally do not "dispose" of household as we do in USA/Canada.
    I am furnished now, but it is "for life" so I will not ge betting rid of it. If I decide to sell apartment in the future, it would be to someone from West and they will get it furnished.
    Lot to consider in your case.

3. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Before renting furnished apartment I would ask owner to REMOVE all their personal decorative items and replace them gradually with items I will want to take back home with me. That is what we did when we lived in Prague in furnished apartment for two years. Later, we mailed number of crates of paintings, dishes, etc. home to Canada. We did not pay any duty (in CR and in Canada) as it was considered "moving household". We needed proof that we worked in CR, thus had home there. It was bit more complicated, too long to get into it here, but well worth it.