hedgehogs

Discussion in 'Culture' started by gypzy, Apr 7, 2007.

1. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

I have this notecard size cookbook for kolace and sweet treats that has drawings in it and talks a little about folklore. There was a drawing of a hedgehog and said that if you rub a hedgehog he will bring good luck. Can rubbing a stuffed toy hedgehog do the same thing?

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Interesting, I never heard about such custom.

3. Karkulka

Karkulka Active Member

I have never heard about such custom. But if you want to try it, then rubbing stuffed toy hedgehog will be probably less painfull, than rubbing a real one. Not to mention, that the real ones are usually full of ticks and fleas :D

4. Ceit

Ceit Well-Known Member

Would this be the same pink hedgehog that leaves Christmas presents? :lol:

5. wer

wer Well-Known Member

No, this economic area is monopolized by chimneysweepers :D. Maybe you confuse a hedgehog with a flue brush :twisted:.

Gypzy, do you know how a Czech hedgehog looks like? (answer :twisted:)
    I don’t recommend you rubbing it. But a stuffed toy Czech hedgehog could be an interesting toy :D.

6. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

Oh my, that is way different than the drawing in my cookbook. Maybe it was a custom invinted by immigrants after arriving in America :? ?

7. eso

eso Well-Known Member

LOL! :)

8. Karkulka

Karkulka Active Member

9. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Does he look like an actual hedge hog?

Perhaps the book is refering to that cute little czech mole

[​IMG]

10. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

There exists a Czech saying "hladit ježka proti srsti" = do something unpleasant.
    e.g. Raději bych hladil ježka proti srsti než ....
    Or stronger: "rodit ježka proti srsti" :)
    "Matěj se při zpěvu tváří, jako by rodil ježka proti srsti ..." 8) 8)

11. Ájík

Ájík Well-Known Member

I never heard before ... :lol: :lol: ... it sounds horrific!

12. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

Another quotations (just to document it is used):
    "Když jsem předminulý víkend dopsal delší článek, který ze mne lezl, jako bych rodil ježka proti srsti, pocítil jsem touhu po lesích. ..."
    "Já sem se jen chtěl dovědět několik málo vět,
    né udělat diplomovku, a porodit ježka proti srsti."
    "Nemít boty s ocelovou špičkou, asi bych tam porodil ježka proti srsti. "
    "...ale když jesm si to přečet tak jsem taky málem porodil ježka proti srsti naruby..."

8) 8)

13. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Just for clarification, don't rub the chimneysweep! He might not like it (or then again, perhaps he might). :D Just touch one of your buttons when you see one.

14. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Gypzy, they are "pulling your leg" (you know that expression?)

It is one of those sayings that are not to be taken literary.

I never heard the one you are asking about and don't know it as "tradition". In Czech folklore there are many sayings which are supposed be "ironic". Translation of this one into U.S. culture is something like "if you cuddle porcupine......". Meaning that you are a fool if you think you will be lucky in life by easy/tricky way. Or perhaps - to be lucky in life you have to go out of your way and do things which sounds difficult. It is one of those expressions you would generaly describe as "tongue in cheek" (OOPS another expression I hope you know)

There is another commonly known Czech saying - usually to children "Do you know how to catch rabbit?" "You put salt on his tail" - again meaning if you are dense that you think you can achieve something by finding an easy way......." If that rabbit will wait for you to do so then of course you can catch it. But it just doesn't happen that easy."Catching rabbit" is also associated with "providing for yourself (in old times food)".

This is JEZEK http://www.naturephoto-cz.com/long-eare ... -1365.html

It is nice to see, Gypsy, that you still have inquiring mind. You are definitely "Czech girl in your heart" (not only due to your ancestor) It will be my pleasure, one of these days, to read that you will travel to CR and fullfil one of your dreams :D .

15. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

Oh, OK. Or maybe the women who wrote the cookbook were fooled before me :roll: . The cookbook has recipes submitted by American women around the country who are Czech descended and/or married Czech.

How cute :) !

Thank you. That is thoughtful. I can't wait to be in CR someday. Hopefully sooner than later 8) .

16. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Ane before Glenn will come here - these buttons are real buttons on clothes, not any other kind! :)

17. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Not sure if Glenn will get that one, since we don't have the same slangy use of the word "button" as Czechs. :lol:

18. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Yeah? Well, I looked to urban dictionary and it says otherwise. ;)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=button