host family

Discussion in 'Culture' started by phosphor100, Nov 9, 2004.

1. phosphor100

phosphor100 New Member

hi, I'm going to Prague next semester, most likely will be living with a host family. This is a really general question, but what suggestions would you all make to someone who knows very little about how to be polite in the Czech culture. For instance, should i offer to help cook food or wash dishes? Is there a certain time I should be home?

2. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Absolutely, you should offer ....sincerely.... to help with anything in household. Just like you would be part of the family. I am sure they would enjoy if you would offer to cook some nice simple meal from your country and of course bought groceries for that. Even if it would be pizza, or something you like at home. Also consider that their income is not going to be higher than income of your family - on contrary...so behave in a way you dont cost them much money and try to recipricate from time to time doing something nice in return.

Always ask if you dont know. YES, there is probably decent time to be home and especially letting them know if you will be coming late. They would feel responsible for your safety so make sure they dont have to worry through the night that you got into accident somewhere and dont speak Czech..... Be considerate.