How Were Given Names Chosen

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by SK, Feb 1, 2006.

1. SK

SK Member

Does anyone know how given names were chosen during middle 1800's? Was it common practice to give a first and middle name? Thanks, SK

2. Ceit

Ceit Well-Known Member

There are several traditions in Europe for given names: child named after relative; child named after famous person; child named for saint whose feast day is the child's birthday. The last one is only in Catholic countries, of course. :) I don't think middles names were ever very common in Europe, although they are known in the UK. Some of my German ancestors also had first and middle names, but none of my Czech ancestors did.

3. SK

SK Member

The reason I asked about this is because I had read that it was the usual practice to only give a first name, and not common to have two given names. Yet my Grandad had first and middle given names, and he was born in Bohemia. I would like to find out more if I could. Thanks for your reply. I'm new to this message board, everyone has been so helpful and polite on this board. Thanks,SK

4. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Godparent's name was also often used as middle name. Sometimes (new) middle name was accepted by confirmation.

Frequently, middle names were ignored in common life and also by state authority.

5. SK

SK Member

So since my Grandad's name was Henry Joseph, he was probably only known as Henry, right? Is'nt Joseph a much more common given name in Czech Republic, than Henry? I have'nt been able to find out anything about what Grandad's Bohemian surname was, but so far the family's given names have been, "Karel, Emil, Marie, Anna, and Pepa(Josef). As you know all these given names are quite common. Thanks again, SK

6. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Yes, maybe he was only known as Henry (but you know his middle name - that means it was used ...:?:).

Or precisely as Jindřich (informally Jindra) if he was Czech-speaking
    or as Heinrich if he was German-speaking.

Yes, for a long time Josef was the most popular name. Czechs are sometimes (a little pejorative) called "Pepíčci" - especially in Poland we're Pepiczci :D.

7. SK

SK Member

I appreciate your reply. Grandad's language must have been Bohemian, since his family in Bohemia correspondence to him was in the Bohemian language. I've seen Henry translated as Heinrich before, but never as Jindrich. And since his American surname was Smith, could not his Bohemian surname have been Smid, as well as Kovar.? Thanks again, SK

8. Ceit

Ceit Well-Known Member

Sure, he could have had the cognate surname in Czech or German, but not necessarily. He could have just picked a common, obviously American name. Do you know if he changed his name officially or did he just change by using "Mr. Smith" all the time? If he did go through legal channels, you should be able to find the documents in the county where he had his name changed...assuming you know where he was living when he changed it. I don't mean to rain on your parade or anything, but genealogy is like that sometimes. Happy name hunting! :D

9. SK

SK Member

I have'nt even been able to find what port Grandad came into. The first record I can find on him is in the 1900 census. According to that he came to the USA in 1885, at the age of 15. The 1890 federal census was destroyed in a fire. Then he was in the 1910 census, and died in 1912. I have no idea if he just took an American sounding name or translated his Bohemian name. Marriage and death certificates were'nt required in our state until 1920. So I don't have them to go on either. Maybe one day someone will be searching for Grandad and and we'll make connections Until then I'll just keep on looking. Thanks for your reply,SK

10. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

Middle names were usualky given to progeny of german decent/linnage -- I was given a middle name at birth ( thus I assume my fahter was of german linneage and mother educated in german schools in CZ)) while my 1/2 brother did not aquire one until he became a US citizen ( my mothers second husband also aquired a middle name after US citizenship)
    That is my explenation to the variance!

11. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

Middle names were usualky given to progeny of german decent/linnage -- I was given a middle name at birth ( thus I assume my fahter was of german linneage and mother educated in german schools in CZ)) while my 1/2 brother did not aquire one until he became a US citizen ( my mothers second husband also aquired a middle name after US citizenship)
    That is my explenation to the variance!

12. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

i don't think it has to do with german heritage - the older generations of my family all had middle names given to them at baptism - most often after the godmother/father who is the witness to their baptism - these middle names disappeared from the official birth certificates -- i know many people who have this middle "batismal" name and who have no german blood - these names are not "official", but they do exist

13. SK

SK Member

So if my Grandad acquired a middle name after coming to the U.S.A. it proably would have been the name Henry, rather than Joseph, since Joseph seems to have been the more popular name at the time. Thanks.SK