"I missed you very much"...

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by shawn, Oct 15, 2003.

1. shawn

shawn Well-Known Member

Ahoj [​IMG]

Prosím, would "I missed you very much", said to a woman, be "Chyběla jsi mi velice moc"?

Děkuji [​IMG]

Shawn

2. Jirka

Jirka Well-Known Member

Hi Shawn,

definitely. Other common utterences could be "Velmi jsi mi scházela." or "Moc se mi [po tobě] stýskalo." ("Velmi jste mi scházela." or "Moc se mi po vás stýskalo." if the relation is rather formal; but that's just theoretical since you may not want to say anything like this if the relationship is formal.)

Jirka

3. shawn

shawn Well-Known Member

Wonderful [​IMG] Thanks Jirka. Lots to figure out there...

What would be the most poetic way to say it to a very good friend, though our friendship is strictly platonic...?

Shawn [​IMG]

4. jdwalker

jdwalker Member

And would

Chybĕš mi velice moc

be "I miss you very much" in proper Czech, especially spoken from a man to his wife?

Dzekuji
    J.D.

5. racoon

racoon Active Member

"I miss you very much"
    " Moc mi chybis"

6. shawn

shawn Well-Known Member

This one still drives me buggy.

Does the normal usage, chybis mi, mean (literally translated) 'you are absent to me'?

Chybet=to be absent?

Such that, for example, if I wanted to say to someone, I already miss Andela, it would be 'uz mi Andela chybi" or something like that - already to me Andela is absent" - "Do you miss me?" Ti Chybim? To you, I am absent?

This one is tough for me to figure out the linguistic jump...

Shawn :oops:

7. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

Yes, literally, "chybíš mi" can be translated as "you are absent to me". But it is used this way: "chybět" alone means "to be absent", "chybět někomu" means "to be missed by sb." (i hope this is the proper English passive for "to miss sb.").

It is similar difference in meaning like with the English verb "to ask" -
    to ask sb. st. - you want an answer
    to ask sb. to do st - you want st. to be done.

P.S. I just remembered - to make it even more confusing :) - if you use "chybět někomu" whan talking about a thing, not a person, it can have both "absent" and "miss" meanings.

8. shawn

shawn Well-Known Member

Thanks Halef, that makes perfect sense. I'm noticing a lot of these little differences.

One of the things I find most interesting about Czech is the difference in the 'logic' of thoughts. They make perfect sense, but are often quite different from the same sentiment in English, as far as how you would say it, for example to express feelings, "Je mi...x" is, when literally translated, something that would seem somewhat strange in English. But as I learn more Czech...such things make perfect sense...in Czech.

It's all very fascinating. Anyways, justing musing here...

Shawn:)