Lamb

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by AJ, Oct 19, 2006.

1. AJ

AJ Active Member

I'm having real trouble trying to source lamb.
    The only place I've been able to buy it so far, in Ostrava, is in Makro.
    Can anyone help.
    Thanks,
    AJ :(

2. janVA206

janVA206 New Member

:) TUNS OF IT IN VANCOUVER CANADA ... HI ... HI ... HI... CHEERS *J :roll:

3. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

You're quite right. The Czechs don't seem very keen on lamb. I've been in Prague for three weeks now and have only seen it once in Tesco, and it was a lot dearer than pork and beef. Not very helpful I know, particularly if you don't have a Tesco in Ostrava but least it shows that it's not just Ostrava!

4. Polednikova

I asked someone who has been here for nine years and he said that lamb is something the Czechs (in common with lots of countries) eat more around Easter time so there's lots in the shops then.

5. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Member

That is strange as there is lamb in Moravia; the one part of the country where they eat lamb I am told. Tesco do have some overpriced cuts at Andel in Prague, or if all else fails you can get frozen New Zealand lamb at Robertsons (the English butcher in Prague).

BTW: Marks and Spencers sell Mint Jelly :D

6. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about it, but I wonder if this isn't some kind of misunderstanding, because on Easter is common to eat CAKE in shape of lamb :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Polednikova

Yes, that's the Tesco I go to. I wonder why it's dearer than pork and beef? Any agricultural experts out there? Because there isn't the volume because there isn't the demand? I will see if there's a Meat Marketing Board site...

And why would M&S sell mint jelly? What would you eat that with other than lamb?!

8. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Member

]And why would M&S sell mint jelly?

Good question! Tesco at Narodni sell mint sauce too! There is a butcher nearby that sells pheasant and all the game meats BUT no lamb!

Robertsons in Nusle offer the follwing and also lamb sausages!

LAMB Price per kg
    Local Czech (not available every week)
    Leg with bone 295
    Shoulder with bone 175
    Loin 245
    Mince (FROZEN, 500g in a pack) 140*

http://www.robertson.cz/

Marks and Spencer sell a nice apple sauce which goes great with pork. No problem finding that!!!
    :D

9. rfp

rfp Active Member

Hi Aj,

I got some superb lamb in my local butchers at Easter, great price too. But when I asked for lamb he joked and told me I could take the lot, I think they only get it in for Easter and it doesn't sell so well. have a horrible feeling all those legs were getting thrown away....

There is another butcher on Franscouvska (SP?) about 300 hundreds meters from Namesti Miru where i've picked up lamb a few times (they'll have a big sign in the window advertising Jehnici Maso!)

So there is good quality lamb being produced here, I think it may be mostly for the export market. If you find a butcher with lamb, buy some and tell him if it's good.

One place you can always get decent quality lamb, assuming you don't mind Halal meat, i the arabic butcher/grocer near Karlovo Namesti (I think it's on Myslikova, it's on the right as you walk away from the square)
    I got 15 cutlets for around 150kcs there. Lambs liver too :)

Tesco is a rip off for lamb, unbelievably more expensive than anywhere else i've found in town. I think I saw a couple of stewing chops on sale there for almost 200kcs!

Btw, plec is hindleg, kyta is shoulder/foreleg. Unless i've mixed them up!

Hope this helps,

Rob.

10. rfp

rfp Active Member

AJ apologies, it's late, just reread your OP and realised you're in Ostrava.
    Rob.

11. vturchi

vturchi Well-Known Member

Hi Rob,

I think that probably plec is shoulder/foreleg and Kyta is hindleg..... :roll:

vale

12. rfp

rfp Active Member

You're correct of course, like I said, it was late ;)

Thanks