Money Changers On The Street.

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by Dylan Thermos, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Dylan Thermos

Dylan Thermos Member

Hi Visitors To Praha,
    I have just returned from four days in Praha and it was wonderful.
    There were no hitches or problems for us.(party of six all in our early fifties)
    We stayed at The Centre Hotel on Legorva Street which was very good.
    It was recently refurbished with sauna and whirlpool facilities not that we had time to use them.
    One thing that we did notice was that three or four shady men offered to change money on the street.(always in the centre)
    A quick loud "NO!" and they were gone.If you want to do business with them take your own fake money to exchange with them! This is what I am told you will get in return.
    One other shady character was following us for a little while and it seemed as though he was waiting for his chance to get close enough to steal from the ladies handbags.A few shouts in his direction and he soon moved away and out of sight.All I say is to be vigilant.This guy was tall unshaven with a long dirty white raincoat.He had track suit bottoms on that were undone near the ankle.He had trainers(sneakers) on his feet.
    He may have been the village idiot but keep an eye out for him just the other side of Charles Bridge near the tram stop.(not sure the name of this square)
    Our time in Prague was very enjoyable indeed.We stayed some ten minutes from the centre and walked in every day.
    This is the most walking I have done in recent times but was well worth it.
    We can recomend a bar called Legends on Legorva Street.Their main clientel were university students so that will tell you that the food and drink was very cheap but of a good quality.
    Beer was 52 pence a pint and very palatable.They also did a beer that was much like Guiness that was a little dearer but well worth the money.
    One of the nights I went a little overboard and had lots of different drinks along with a two course meal for my wife and I.I even tried a B52 cocktail complete with flaming absinth which caused much hilarity.Total cost for my wife and I a paltry twenty pounds Sterling.
    We did try other eateries but this place was near our hotel so was ideal for travellers with tired feet.
    We recomend Legends for their friendly staff and just good value all round.
    My advice to travellers there would be go for long walks well before your visit cos you'll end up walking a lot........Dylan(Wales)........

2. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

Shout at them, well there is an approach worthy of trying for new timers...well done. Too bad you didnt snap a pic of him.

I get a kick out of the pickpockets in the metro, they are sooooo primative, it makes me wonder how the czech police cannot catch them. It is like they stand out in red to me. Recently, I entered, and was sure of the smut I saw, so I play the game, knowing they are never alone. Walk right up to him, put a shit ass eating grin on my face and get right in his mug...needless to say, of the pack of 5 that they usually travel in, there is only one, max two, that are large enough to fight, leaving the small ones as lookouts...

NEVER back down, they are more afraid than you are..

After years here, they are starting to recognize me though, so I anticipate a good old fashion boy scrap soon, of which I encourage, for I hate slime :lol:

3. Ladis

Ladis Well-Known Member

This bar is "Legenda" and is in "Legerova ulice/street" ;) I and my friends have sometimes a reunion there :)

4. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

The street is Légerova :wink: (LEGEROVA in capitals), named after a French slavist (Louis Léger), no wonder that the Englishmen cannot spell it correctly. :)

5. Dylan Thermos

Dylan Thermos Member

Hi Zeisig,
    Sorry for the mis-spelling of Legerova.
    It was quite funny for us Welshmen because we reffered to the street as
    "Legover Road" obviously a play on words on our part?
    In fact we used to go to "Leg ends Bar on Legover Road" just our little private joke which made us smile?.......
    KJP please be careful these idiots might do harm to you and believe me they are just not worth it...............Dylan (Wales)

6. evian

evian Well-Known Member

Nice motive, but I feel this "head-on approach" is a bit extreme. There is a more simple method that entails a less costly outcome. I agree that just shouting is a new timers approach that will not always suffice. However, provoking such a situation to occur is just absurd!
    The most effective method in my opinion, is to be completely (& knowingly) ignorant of their presence. Not responding to any provocation (e.g. "Please sir..."; "Sir did you..." ) imposed by sketchy looking individuals, combined with a firm grasp upon your valuables (wallet etc.) and a brisk walking pace gets you out of every unpleasant situation. I realise that such an approach only comes with familiarity with territory, but it works for me everytime I go to Hong Kong. :wink:

7. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Just got back (about 12 days ago) after a wonderful 12 day vist to Praha. One of my traveling companions is about 6'3" (191 cm) tall, the size of a mountain, and black. No one bothered us.

8. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

Actually Evian, I believe the direct approach to be the best. The reason is simply that those that show fright, appear gullable, are the main target. If you want to avoid pickpockets in Prague, simple to not board when it is crowded, Only with body to body contact can such primative theives exist. Born and raised in NY, I can assure you that they come off as a 1950's type of thieves, very poor at what they do...