Need advice on expressing "love" as in "frien

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by HampshireLad, Nov 10, 2005.

1. HampshireLad

HampshireLad Active Member

I was gently "told off" the other day for using "miluji te" at the end of a text message - apparently this is not the "done thing" among friends and is more suitable for lovers it seems..

If I was speaking French I would have used the word "amicalement" which implies a different kind of friendship and I was wondering whether there was something similar in the Czech language ?

Any help with this would be much appreciated :wink:

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

There are three degrees of "love" in Czech:

Líbíš se mi = I like you (most casual of the three, used among friends, or perhaps when someone is interested in getting to know you better, in a romantic way).
    Mám tě rád(a) = I love you (more serious, said perhaps by close friends one to another or else between couples dating and in a more casual romantic relationship). Note, use the variant "rád" if you are male, and "ráda" if you are female.
    Miluju tě = I love you (generally considered very strong!! Reserved normally for lovers and spouses, although to some it is appropriate in a casual dating relationship)

As for closing your text message, if you're relationship is strictly as friends, you might say, "S družbou," (with friendship) or "Tvůj kamarád" (your friend). If it's a close friendship, or with some element of romance in it, you might say, "S láskou."

3. HampshireLad

HampshireLad Active Member

Oh dear ! I have made a BIG mistake :oops: Thank you very much for this. I'm lucky she's still speaking to me :!: I need to find myself a proper teacher, and quickly !

Regards, Peter

4. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Czechs are usually very understanding when foreigners are trying to learn their language (probably why she is still speaking to you :D ).