Sweet dreams EN>CZ

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by Danica, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Danica

Danica New Member

How would you say 'sweet dreams' in Czech?

Thank you in advance!

xx

2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Literally, it is "sladké sny", however, common expression is "krásné sny" (beautiful dreams).

3. Danica

Danica New Member

Thank you Jana! :D

4. digit

digit Member

May i ask how would you translate "spi sladce" then?

5. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

sleep sweatly

EDIT: Sorry, sorry, sorry. Of course I meant Sleep Sweetly.

6. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

"sleep sweatly"

I thing you mean "sleep sweetly" unless it is very hot and humid, then it would be "sleep sweatly", but that would not be the translation. WOW - what a difference ONE letter makes.

7. magan

magan Well-Known Member

I don't know about other Czechs on this web, but I would not use "Spi sladce" as it is used in connection with deceased and I have seen it on grave stones.

There is usual expression in Czech "Hezky se vyspi" - have a nice sleep.

8. gementricxs

I'm really sorry for making that stupid mistake. It's just one letter and the meaning is completely different. I will read what I'm posting every time from now.

I agree with you Magan, the expression Spi sladce has kinda graveyard feel.

There's one interesting phrase I want to mention Dobrou noc, ať tě blechy štípou celou noc. This expression usually say parents to their kids. Literally it means: Have a good night and I wish you flea bites you all night.

9. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

a lot like English

"have a restful (or peaceful or good) sleep" vs. "rest in peace" (used for the deceased).

also similar phrase to say to kids "sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite"

amusing similarities :)

10. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

Jirko,

For sure - ONE letter really does make a difference - I am sure in Czech also. I hope you understand I was not criticizing you. I just was pointing out something funny. :lol:

Stepan

11. timeschampion

timeschampion Member

Thanks gementricxs I have been wondering what the phrase meant :D

12. gementricxs

No, actually I want to thank you for the correction. I should really read what I wrote before I post it. This website for people learning Czech and it's a shame having mistakes here. Thanks for that.