"The End"

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by HampshireLad, Apr 10, 2006.

1. HampshireLad

HampshireLad Active Member

Hi all! I'm starting to make up some video presentations for Czech friends and need to know how to say "The End" as in the French "Fin" at the end of the movie. Also, what is the best translation for "Play" as in the button on the video/DVD player.

I had a look at the dictionary but there are rather too many "plays" and "ends" to choose from :lol:

Thank you !

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

The End = Konec
    Play = Přehrát

3. HampshireLad

HampshireLad Active Member

Thank you ! These are totally different to the ones I would have chosen :lol: :lol:

4. meda

meda Well-Known Member

Would you tell me how is different "Přehrát" and "hrát" ? When I talk about football, I use "hrát" Only .....

5. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Hm, I'm not language profesional, so my guess - where it's something, what you can repeat again and again (like movie on DVD) it's přehrát (replay), but if it's someting unique (like soccer match or theatre play) it's play (hrát).

But there are exceptions (Hrát film - in cinema) and hrát/přehrát have more meanings, so probably some user with better knowledge of language and English will tell better answer.

6. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

Formally, hrát is the basic imperfective (durative) verb and verbs like přehrát, nahrát, dohrát, vyhrát, prohrát, uhrát, sehrát, odehrát, ... are all the perfective verbs derived by prefix.

The future tense: budu hrát, but přehraji, nahraji, ....

The meaning of the prefix pře-: re-, trans-, over-.

The meaning is often idiomatic:

přehrát záznam - to replay a record (to play back)
    přehrát problém na ... - to pass a problem to someone (to transfer)
    přehrát soupeře - to be better in a play (to overcome)

7. meda

meda Well-Known Member

Per eso a Zeisig
    Dekuji vam. I wrote them in my grammer notebook.

Per Zeisig
    Ideomatic words are difficult to me ... I can't find them in my dictionary :(
    So your explanation is so useful. Thank you very much :)