Visa requirements for Czech nationals travelling abroad...

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by Harry, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Harry

Harry Active Member

Hello all,

Can anyone advise me whether a Czech national holding a full passport needs any special visa to travel to the UK, Spain, France, Italy for vacation?

I know one can ask the appropriate bodies in the countries concerned but if anyone has direct experience it would expedite matters.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Harry

2. Ondra Klimuj

Ondra Klimuj New Member

Hey Harry,

the way I do it is I visit the website of Ministry of Foreign Affairs Czech Republic (http://www.mzv.cz) and there is a section of travelling abroad on the website. That section lists all the countries in the world and their visa requirements for Czechs. It includes a paragraph on EU countries. You can pick either Czech or English version of that page. The English version has currently this address
    http://www.mzv.cz/wwwo/mzv/default.asp?id=25931&ido=7306&idj=2&amb=1

Does it help?

Ondrej

3. Harry

Harry Active Member

Ondra,

That's excellent help, thank you. It seems there is no problem since joining EU.

Harry

4. uuspoiss

uuspoiss Well-Known Member

Do Czechs have a national ID-card similar to that of the UK, Finland or Estonia? Are you able to use it for travelling inside the EU without needing a passport?

5. Harry

Harry Active Member

In fact there is no compulsory ID card in the UK at this time. Currently it's a government proposal under consideration, so we have to carry our passports when travelling.

Harry

6. szarkafarka

szarkafarka Well-Known Member

7. uuspoiss

uuspoiss Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information, Harry. I just knew there were some consultations with the Brits when the Estonian card was first implemented. Well at least you seem to have the technical capabilities - there was a border guard at Gatwick who seemed to be quite able to read the machine readable part of the card without the aid of any machines. Took him about 5 minutes to go through the whole thing :)

szarkafarka, are the Czech cards compulsory? Do you know if there are plans to implement electronic use of ID cards, which would allow electronic authentication, digital signatures etc? (I'm just interested in this stuff as it was a part of my B.A. thesis)

8. szarkafarka

szarkafarka Well-Known Member

1. Yes. The ID cards are compulsory in the CR (from the age of 15).
    2. I don't know.