Advice on where to leave important documents in Praha, pleas

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by ondrejana, Mar 15, 2004.

1. ondrejana

ondrejana Well-Known Member

Hello,

My husband and I are flying to Praha in May and staying in Zizkov. As we will be renting a flat there, do you feel that it is safe enough to leave our passports there, even if the byt is without a safe provided? Or should we wear those very sweaty travel belts in which to place our passports and money?

As well, anyone know the best way to get from Ruzyne airport to Zizkov? Take the metro and transfer to bus, tramvaj, or straight bus from airport? We, luckily, arrive in mid-afternoon.

Dik!
    Jana

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Jana,

It's hard to say how safe it is to leave your documents in the apartment. I would go ahead and take the chance - burglars would probably go after money rather than passports - but I'd suggest that you make copies of your passports before your trip and tuck those in your purse so you at least have those in case something happens to your original documents. I'd be reluctant to leave lots of cash in the apartment. For some tips, visit our Prague Safety page.

Do you know where in Žižkov you'll be staying? If you're close enough to the Jiřího z Poděbrad or Flóra metro stations, getting there by the metro is a piece of cake. Just take bus 119 from the airport to the Dejvická metro (line A) and take the metro 7 stops to Jiřího z Poděbrad or 8 stops to Flóra - the same metro line, no need to transfer. If you're going to be staying farther into Žižkov, you may need to take a tram part of the way, e.g. from the Hlavní nádraží (main train station) metro (line C). It really depends on where in Žižkov you will be. If you haven't yet visited the Airport - Downtown Transportation page, you may want to do that.

Dana

3. maartenv

maartenv Well-Known Member

Dear Jana,

The major cities in the Czech republic is are not much different from major cities in the rest of the world. Scummy people with bad intentions are present, and mainly in the tourist area's it's good to pay attention to your belongings. Just use the same common sense you use everywhere!

For the rest I can say that my expierinces in the Czech republic are none but good. I have on one ocasion left my notebook, open and running on a table in a reataurant, and (STUPID ME) left the place. After half an hour I came back, and nobody touched it!!! (Lucky me :) )

The Czech people have good respect for your belongings in general, and you'll find them very helpfull. In the tourist area's a bit less, due to the fact that they get a bit num by the many foreigners, with all their things they do.

Hope you'll have a good time, and see some of the smaller villages and nature outside of Prague!

Cheers!

4. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Jana,

Maarten and Dana have given some good advice. If you do carry valuable with you, I'd check out the topic "Valuables and Pickpocketing" in the "Travel Tips and Advice" section (if you haven't already) for some more insight. Common sense and awareness of your surroundings are the most important factors in keeping safe anywhere.

As for Maarten's story about his notebook, I once left my wallet in Buffalo Bill's in Prague, came back 30 min. later and found it untouched. Imagine, every booth in the place was occupied when I returned, except the one my friends and I had just vacated ...

--Sova

5. ondrejana

ondrejana Well-Known Member

Dana,

Your message really helped. We're staying just about a 3-5 minute walk away from the Jiriho z Podebrad metro (line A, as you now teach me).

Bus 119 sounds perfect. After my husband read your advice, then he remembered that he has taken that very bus line when last he visited Praha a few years ago. Thank you.

As for passport info., again, thank you. I will think to leave the originals in the byt, and then to carry copies of all impt. documents with me. Do you think that it will be necessary to even bring a travel belt though (i.e. to place large notes, like 1000 or higher Czech bank notes?)

Furthermore, can you help with best places to exchange USD into koruny? My husband says to do this at the airport, but the exchange rates are always poor in areas like that. Would it be wiser to exchange some here (i.e. Thomas Cook), or should I use ATM machines when in Prague to exchange a few hundred at a time, or... do you know of great places that you would use personally were you in Praha?

Thank you to all who offered me their ideas.

Respectfully,
    Jana

6. maartenv

maartenv Well-Known Member

When I go to the Czech Republic I have a couple of hundred / thausand Krones left from my previous visit. This will enable me to go through the first day, without any problems. It's nice to have but absolutely not neccesary.

ATM's are everywhere, even in small villages. I'dd check with your card provider for compatibility in the CZ and if it's compatible, you will have no problems getting money from an ATM.

When I go there, most of the money I spend goes to paying the aeroclub I rent planes from, and have my accomodation. Ususally I take a couple of thousand Krones (10-15) from an ATM the first or second day, and have enough to pay for gifts, food and gas for two weeks. One day before departure I ask for an estimate on the bill, and get the rest of the money. Sometimes I have enough, sometimes I have to get some more one time.

The average sallery in the Czech republic is not more than 12 - 24 thausand crones. I know that I sometimes take a whole month salery out of an ATM, and behave like such. For me it's relatively less money, but do'n't show it around.

I have 2-4 thousend crones on me normally, and the rest is in my rented house.

(It's been over half a year since I've been there, and I still have roughly 1000 krones in my wallet :) )
    It reminds me of my good times there, and will use it again in May!

Just use common sense, and use ATM machines. You pay costs per transaction like exhange rate compensation, and transaction fee. It would be a bit cheaper to take bigger ammounts, and you are sure not being ripped off. (which is usually not really the case, but always check a local exchange booth's rates with the ones you know, and rember that the guy, or woman providing the service also has to make a living)

Your bank can provide all costs for your cards.

Have fun there!

7. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Jana,

Check out the Money Tips for Travellers section on the Czech Currency page. When I visit the Czech Rep., I always take smaller amounts (e.g. $200 worth of CZK) out of ATMs. For a larger amount, I would use a bank. Banks are fine, the bigger ones are Komerční banka or ČSOB (Československá obchodní banka).

Dana

8. silverkinguk

silverkinguk Well-Known Member

Hi,
    About credit cards.Watch out for identity theft its all around the world even with ATM machines.Check that nothing is obstructing the card slot,sometimes crooks place something in it that reads the cards.
    Sometimes small cameras inserted at the back of ATM concealed can pick your card pin as you put into machine.
    Best thing to do is go inside a bank normally as it's safer.
    I know one my friends credit card details were taken and she lost 300 pounds in one day.Lucky she found out and cancelled straight away.
    Lates

UKboy :D